User not logged in - login - register
Home Calendar Books School Tool Photo Gallery Message Boards Users Statistics Advertise Site Info
go to bottom | |
 Message Boards » » People who didn't turn out like everyone expected Page 1 [2], Prev  
Skack
All American
31140 Posts
user info
edit post

Quote :
"I've always had a bit of cognitive dissonance over that issue. I respect those who have ambition, but for 99% of people who are intelligent and educated, they still end up working for someone else. Thus, perhaps the ambition to be a "housewife" is smarter than ambition to be owned by someone else for 40+ hours a week."


That's pretty much what I was getting at.

Also, as I get older, I can see the tangible benefits of being able to focus on my self and my career while delegating certain tasks to a housewife. Marrying a good woman can be like project management for your life.

[Edited on November 14, 2009 at 1:33 AM. Reason : l]

11/14/2009 1:33:04 AM

ssjamind
All American
30098 Posts
user info
edit post

cognitive dissonance on one level can exist as long as there's consonance on a level the next tier up on the hierarchy -- i am ofcourse extrapolating the dissonance you express into the material world.

for example, those smart people working for someone else, even if they knew there was a 99% chance they could be much more awesome and fullfilled if they worked for themselves; may on a higher hierarchy of needs, know that that 1% chance of failure is for them either livelihood threatening or disruptive enough to life, to not be worth the risk

12/7/2009 12:53:32 AM

pawprint
All American
5203 Posts
user info
edit post

One of the "prettiest" aka skinniest girls in our high school who was very popular, held the best parties, always a jokester...she was working at Food Lion last time I saw her in town.

Also, this kid who used to pick on me in HS...I mean, REALLY laid it down...he would moo at me and shit like that...AG smart kid but a total asshole...He dropped out, got fat, got dumped, and is a redneck. I loved seeing the wedding he attended without a date with him guzzling beer in a gaping plaid shirt.

*contented sigh*

12/12/2009 11:54:59 AM

Mr. Joshua
we want chilly willy
43918 Posts
user info
edit post

Today I found out that a guy I went to high school with was just awarded a bronze star for service in Afghanistan. I never saw that coming, I didn't even know he was a marine lieutenant.

3/11/2010 3:40:52 PM

CassTheSass
cupid
35382 Posts
user info
edit post

Quote :
"A lot of my peers from Creedmoor Wake Forest got knocked up and still live in Creedmoor Wake Forest. No shock there."


Quote :
"Also, this kid who used to pick on me in HS...I mean, REALLY laid it down...he would moo at me and shit like that...AG smart kid but a total asshole...He dropped out, got fat, got dumped, and is a redneck. I loved seeing the wedding he attended without a date with him guzzling beer in a gaping plaid shirt."


similar thing happened to me pawprint. this guy in 10th grade used to pick on me on the bus all the time. said i wasn't even "worthy" enough to look at him. yeah home skillet is now working at one of the local brueggers making my bagel sandwiches. i ran into him a while back and he recognized me before i said anything. while he was standing there slicing and dicing my bagel, i was telling him how i have a degree, a wonderful job, and own a condo. yeah his face was like this:

3/23/2010 9:24:24 AM

magdalena
All American
7827 Posts
user info
edit post

For what it's worth, I never imagined I'd move to South Korea and learn Korean.

I remember those personality tests you get in high school, the ones which (perhaps not specifically personality based) "predict" to some extent what careers you'd be good at. Teacher was one that came up for me. I thought, "heck no, I'd never be interested or good at that."

Fun-neee thing; I teach now. hmm

5/14/2010 12:28:48 AM

pilgrimshoes
Suspended
63151 Posts
user info
edit post

it's amazing to me how many people end up teaching in korea.

like, three people from my hs, a few from this site, and when i was there i met a whole slew of them from all over.

5/14/2010 9:29:49 AM

Arab13
Art Vandelay
45165 Posts
user info
edit post

Quote :
"so i did ok in high school but i only failed one class. Honors American Government. not like, i didnt do well and got a C. like "F" fail. aka"


knowing who the teacher was, and knowing it's you, I'm not really surprised by this (she was a bitch if she didn't like you).

i bet she'd choke to know what you do for a living now though

5/14/2010 10:05:45 AM

BlackSheep
Suspended
1575 Posts
user info
edit post

so where are all of you now?

10/10/2021 12:22:11 PM

Nighthawk
All American
19486 Posts
user info
edit post

Just had my 20th high school reunion (really 21st but Covid delayed it) and it was a combo with the class after mine which was their actual 20th and happened to be the one my wife was in. Even though it was outside, there wasn't a huge attendance due to the pandemic, but not a ton of surprises. My wife and I were the longest relationship there as we'd been together since the summer after my freshman year at State. One friend has been thrice divorced now and has a kid in her 20s. I was in a weird place being one of the band kids and smarter/nerdy kids, so the band kids ranged from stoner drummers to some super smart kids. Not many from my tighter social group were there but several are teachers, one of my closest friends from high school is a principal. Her ex-husband, another in our social circle mainly from band, is selling rainbow vacuum cleaners and got kids with another lady now. A couple of classmates that were not into computers and shit growing up work in IT now which was really surprising to me.

As for me personally, I think I probably turned out a bit underwhelming to some. People thought my job managing the educational technology team at the Pharmacy School was really cool, but I think some classmates thought I was fucking Mark Zuckerberg or something. One girl, who I knew since 1st grade but we were in completely different social circles (she was one of the cool/stoner/druggie kids) told me how much she used to hate me because I would apparently beat her by a couple points on most test and quizzes. She said I made it look so easy and she was incredibly jealous. I remember her doing pretty well but never noticed that it was a competition. I also was flabbergasted that she got such good grades as she didn't seem to give a fuck about school. We were not friends on Facebook but I had heard she ended up in Wilmington. When we were catching up I mentioned that I love Flaming Amy's and she told me she managed it for over a decade and still works there part time, but now runs her own massage therapy salon.

10/23/2021 9:37:10 AM

ShinAntonio
Zinc Saucier
18932 Posts
user info
edit post

There was so little interest in our 20th high school reunion they expanded the invitees to anyone who graduated 2 years before or after us. I didn't go. I don't have particularly bad memories but I learned everything I wanted to know from Facebook.

10/27/2021 1:20:53 PM

BlackSheep
Suspended
1575 Posts
user info
edit post

Man, my parents classes were so organized.

They would get paper invitations and shit. Someone was always calling about the “next” reunion.

Our generation… If there is not a list to email, no one will be invited.

11/1/2021 2:27:42 PM

TreeTwista10
Laugh, Think, Cry
143501 Posts
user info
edit post

rwoody

11/9/2021 1:29:52 PM

tchenku
midshipman
18513 Posts
user info
edit post

As far as I can tell, no Honors kids (my circle) to go my HS Reunions. The list ends up being a bunch of people whose names I don't even recognize

11/9/2021 8:34:36 PM

 Message Boards » Old School » People who didn't turn out like everyone expected Page 1 [2], Prev  
go to top | |
Admin Options : move topic | lock topic

© 2021 by The Wolf Web - All Rights Reserved.
The material located at this site is not endorsed, sponsored or provided by or on behalf of North Carolina State University.
Powered by CrazyWeb v2.38 - our disclaimer.